Company Logo America's First Fan Company

Framingham Foundries

(1936) Foundry view.

Sturtevant's post-war(WW1) expansion included relocating the Hyde Park foundry to free space for more fan manufacturing. In 1919, the Framingham Foundries, located at 10 Roxanna St.,South Framingham, MA(formerly Framingham Machine Works/Ames Plow), was acquired and reorganized. Modifications were made so it had the capacity to produce aluminum and brass moldings for Sturtevant's needs in addition to gray-iron castings and galvanizing metal goods.

Some interesting trivia is this was the official final home of Sturtevant Aeroplane Co. An office was established to complete its liquidation in 1920. There were quite a few transfers from that company to Framingham. Noble Foss, formerly president of Sturtevant Aeroplane now held that position with Framingham. The first general superintendant, Fred Chanonhouse, was a company pilot. Emerson Barrett, former treasurer, became vice-president. John McElroy, former chief draftsman, was the new chief engineer.

It was operated more as a subsidiary with significant amounts of orders from other companies. The 1935 production data gives a good read on the size of the business. That year they poured a total of more than 10 million lbs of good castings to all customers including B.F.Sturtevant. They used 4.3 million lbs of pig iron, 4.3 million lbs of scrap iron and 1.3 million lbs of scrap steel.

In 1942, The Niles-Bement-Pond Co. acquired a 50% interest in the foundry. They already had an existing relationship through their Pratt & Whitney. Most of the castings they used came from Framingham. In 1944, Sturtevant's ownership ended with the sale of the foundry to Draper Corp. of Hopedale,MA.